Jason Merritt/Getty
December 02, 2014 04:40 PM

A judge on Tuesday ordered former Scandal star Columbus Short to remain in California until he resolves felony charges that he punched a man or else face a steep increase in his bail.

Los Angeles Superior Court Commissioner Mark Zuckman warned Short that if he found out the actor defied the order, he would increase bail from $250,000 to $1 million. Zuckman denied a prosecutor’s request to increase Short’s bail to $500,000 as punishment for the actor missing an October court appearance.

Short showed up to court three days after his scheduled hearing, which would have included testimony from witnesses describing a March fight in which the actor is accused of hitting a man in a restaurant and seriously injuring him.

Short, 32, had been unable to get a flight to Los Angeles from Atlanta at the time, his attorney, Michael M. Levin, told Zuckman on Tuesday. He said Short was attempting to travel on standby status and spent an entire night at the airport trying to get a flight to make his court date.

Short has moved back to Los Angeles so he can address the allegations, Levin said.

The actor left the hit ABC series Scandal after being charged in the felony battery case and a separate domestic violence case involving his estranged wife. Short pleaded no contest in August to misdemeanor spousal battery and was sentenced to three years of informal probation and domestic violence counseling.

Short has been late or missed other court appearances. His preliminary hearing is now scheduled for Dec. 23.

The actor declined to comment after Tuesday’s hearing.

You May Like

EDIT POST