Judge Denies Amanda Bynes's Bid to Fight Temporary Conservatorship
The actress's mother remains in control of her finances until early 2015
A judge has denied Amanda Bynes‘s attempt to wrest full control of her life back from her mother.
On Friday, the actress sent a lawyer, Art Santiago, to appear in court on her behalf to contest a temporary conservatorship placed by a judge earlier this month that gives her mother control over her medical and financial decisions until at least February next year.
With both of Bynes’ parents, Rick and Lynn, present in the courtroom, the judge ruled that Santiago could not legally represent the star because he is not her court-appointed attorney, thus striking out her bid for legal and financial freedom.
Saying he’s been in contact with Bynes for the past two weeks, Santiago told the judge he “convinced her to voluntarily take her medication” and has been “following her progress.”
“I’ve been dealing with her for the past two weeks and believe I’m the only one she can trust,” Santiago added.
Bynes, 28, contested her involuntary treatment three days after the court ruling in a mandatory hearing at the facility, during which a hearing officer deemed her stable enough to be released.
Bynes’s mother, Lynn, was granted a temporary conservatorship on Oct. 22, allowing her control over the star’s medical and financial decisions, but not her psychiatric treatment.
After leaving the treatment facility, Bynes was spotted roaming the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles late Thursday night wearing a dark coat and large sunglasses.
Adds a source close to Bynes: “She said she was going to fight her parents in court because she didn’t want them to control her life.”
• With reporting by LIZ McNEIL and GABRIELLE OLYA