Xposure/AKM-GSI
placeholder
June 09, 2016 01:00 PM

More trouble is on the way for ex-NFL star Johnny Manziel.

The 23-year-old former Browns quarterback was served court papers for an unrelated matter on Wednesday night while leaving Los Angeles hotspot The Nice Guy with an unnamed female companion.

Last month, Manziel was ordered by a Dallas County criminal court judge to avoid all contact with his ex-girlfriend after being indicted for a misdemeanor assault stemming from an alleged domestic violence incident in January with ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley.

He was also barred from possessing any firearms.

Crowley told authorities in an affidavit obtained by PEOPLE that the former first round draft pick allegedly hit her so hard she briefly lost hearing. She also claimed Manziel allegedly grabbed her by her hair and threw her into his car.

“I was crying and telling him ‘I hate you! Just leave me alone! I hate you!’ ” she alleged. “[He] then told me he was going to drop me off, take my car and go kill himself.”

The alleged altercation then continued at Crowley’s apartment. “I was in my kitchen so out of fear for my life,” she writes. “I pulled a knife out of my knife block and advanced toward him.”

Keith/AKM-GSI

This wasn’t the first time police had been called to investigate a physical argument between Manziel and Crowley. In October, the two were questioned by police after an argument appeared to turn physical.

Manziel’s attorneys told media outlets that the embattled football player will plead not guilty when he appears in court at a June 24 docket hearing.

“He looks forward to defending himself against the misdemeanor allegation and focusing on the next phases of his life, both personally and professionally,” Manziel’s lead attorney Jim Darnell said.

“Out of respect for Ms. Crowley, we will not try the case in the press. We do, however, believe that Johnny will be acquitted at the conclusion of the case,” he added.

Manziel was indicted in April and booked on a misdemeanor assault charge in early May after turning himself in to police in Highland Park, Texas. He posted $1,500 before being released.

On social media, Manziel has stood up for himself, implying his alleged bad behavior is consistent with his previous experiences. “You guys act like what I’m doing is something new,” he tweeted. “I’ve been the same person, doing the same things since it all started.”

He later joked about his mugshot on social media before deleting his Twitter post.

In a pinned tweet to his page, Manziel says he “made plenty of mistakes along the way, and have a lot [he’d] do differently. To all my family and real friends who have stuck by me…THANK YOU”

In recent months, the former Heisman Trophy winner has been cut by Cleveland and dropped by sponsors and by two agents.

You May Like

EDIT POST