Johnny Manziel Indicted for Assaulting Ex-Girlfriend, Attorney Says He Will Plead Not Guilty
The indictment comes just days after Johnny Manziel was dropped by his second agent this year
A Texas grand jury indicted former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel on a misdemeanor domestic violence charge stemming from a February incident in which he allegedly repeatedly hit his ex-girlfriend and threatened to kill both her and himself.
News of the indictment had been leaked prior to Tuesday’s announcement by Dallas County District Attorney Susan Hawk.
“The Grand Jury’s review of Mr. Manziel’s case has resulted in a ‘true bill’, which means that there was probable cause found that Mr. Manziel committed a Family Violence Assault against the complainant,” reads Hawk’s statement, which was obtained by PEOPLE.
An affidavit obtained by PEOPLE states that Manziel, 23, and Collen Crowley allegedly got into a heated argument during a January night out.
Crowley told authorities then that the former first round draft pick allegedly hit her so hard she briefly lost her hearing. She claimed Manziel allegedly grabbed her by her hair and threw her into his car.
“I was crying and telling him ‘I hate you! Just leave me alone! I hate you!’ she alleged. “[He] then told me he was going to drop me off, take my car and go kill himself.”
Manziel’s attorney, Jim Darnell, said in a statement to media outlets that his client will plead not guilty.
“We certainly respect the decision of the grand jury but of course they only hear part of the case: What the D.A. chooses to share with them. We don’t know what that was,” the statement said.
“This case will now be assigned to a court in Dallas County where the parties are able to join the issue. Johnny will certainly plead ‘not guilty’ and we believe the evidence will support that plea. Out of respect for Ms. Crowley, we will not try the case in the press. We do, however, believe that Johnny will be acquitted at the conclusion of the case.”
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
Rosenhaus is the second agent to drop Manziel this year. In February, Erik Burkhardt announced in a statement that he was cutting ties with the embattled star, ESPN reports.
Shortly after being dropped by Rosenhaus, Manziel said in a statement that he is hoping to take care of his immediate problems.
“I’m hoping to take care of the issues in front of me right now, so I can focus on what I have to do if I want to play in 2016,” he said in a statement provided to ESPN.
“I also continue to be thankful to those who really know me and support me.”
Manziel, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner, was drafted by the Browns in 2014 and dropped by the team in March, CBS Sports reports.