Russell Taylor, 43, led a nonprofit founded by Subway spokesman Jared Fogle; he now faces allegations that he produced child porn

Advertisement
Image
Credit: Indiana State Police

The former director of Subway pitchman Jared Fogle's charity remains in custody after being charged with multiple counts related to child pornography.

Russell Taylor, 43 – who ran the Jared Foundation, a nonprofit organization encouraging healthy eating and exercise habits for kids – was arrested on May 4.

Last week, Fogle admitted that he had sex with two minors and viewed homemade child pornography that he has received from Taylor. He awaits sentencing, but will be given no more than 12½ years in prison under a deal with federal prosecutors.

Subway has since severed ties with its former pitchman, who became a national celebrity after he lost more than 200 lbs. by eating Subway subs.

Following a raid early last month on Fogle's Zionsville, Indiana, home, during which authorities removed electronics, PEOPLE obtained a 16-page charging document that details disturbing accusations against Taylor, including bestiality and child abuse.

His foundation severed ties with Taylor after his arrest. However, a report claims that the charity gave out zero grants and spent 60 percent of its income on Taylor's salary.

Disturbing Text Messages

The criminal child pornography case against Taylor began in September 2014, when a woman, referred to in documents as Jane Doe, who was friendly with Taylor, told police that he had offered to send text messages containing images or videos of young girls.

The texts led to the alleged discovery in Taylor's home of videos showing four naked, underage youths, who had been secretly recorded. Taylor was charged with seven federal counts of producing child pornography and one count of possessing child pornography.

Two days after his arrest, Taylor attempted suicide at the Marion County Jail, The Indianapolis Star reports. A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney tells PEOPLE that Taylor remains in the custody of the U.S. Marshal's Office, but no court date has been set for him to enter a plea.

Jane Doe told investigators she became friends with Taylor through her husband. That friendship continued after Doe's husband died in 2013. "During the course of the friendship," the charging document states, "text messages concerning sexual matters were exchanged."

Those texts took a turn when, according to the documents, Taylor asked if he and another adult female could come to her home and engage in sexual activity with an animal. "You could tell he was serious," Doe told investigators, according to the document.

She revealed she then received one image via text message purporting to show bestiality as well as an offer to see images of "young girls."

Asked if Taylor had expressed interest to her in engaging in sexual activity with minors, Doe told investigators, "Not that I can remember, but he's the type of person that seems to be very sexually involved in whatever goes."

Hidden Cameras

An April 29 search of Taylor's Indianapolis home that collected computers and storage devices eventually revealed over 400 videos, most showing nude or partially nude children unaware they were being filmed in bedrooms and bathrooms in Taylor's homes between 2012 and 2013, police said in the charging documents. Three of the children depicted – two girls and a boy – have a known relationship to Taylor and would sleep over at various times, the document states. A fourth child, a girl "not related" to Russell, also slept at the home on occasion.

Based on time stamps, police estimated the ages of the children were between 9 and 16.

A forensic review showed the multiple video clips matched the bedrooms and bathrooms of Taylor's current and prior homes. In one video, Taylor's face is seen looking at the camera as he adjusts its aim.

Interviewed by police, Taylor said he had placed a clock radio with a hidden camera in a child's bedroom "to determine if the child was having sex with her boyfriend or stealing things." He added, "I've had nanny cams forever."

Police said the videos, few "without nudity" according to the charging document, were "consistent in type with concealed camera videos."

Police interviewed three of the four children – one of whom also identified the fourth – and all three said they did not know they were being recorded.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.