"We are desperate," Jorga Bass allegedly texted John Charlton about her daughter

April 13, 2016 03:50 PM

Police records obtained by PEOPLE show a series of text messages between Ingrid Lyne, the married mother-of-three whose dismembered remains were discovered in a Seattle recycling bin, and her alleged killer.

According to a certification for determination of probable cause, hours before a homeowner found Lyne’s remains in the bin, her mother, Jorga Bass, entered Lyne’s home to find her belongings – a purse, phone, computer and tablet – but no sign of her daughter.

She looked up a recurring number on her daughter’s phone and, via internet research, discovered that it allegedly belonged to the suspect, John Robert Charlton, 37. She sent a text to the number that she had called 911.

John Robert Charlton
Montana DOC Photo

“911? What’s going on? We went to the Mariners game last night, but we didn’t stay the night together because she has her kids today not sure what she has told you about me and our relationship,” Charlton responded, according to the records.

“She’s missing. What time did you see her last,” Bass replied. “A police officer needs to speak to you as you may be the last person who saw her. ”

Charlton didn’t respond, and that was the last Bass heard from the man. Desperate, she sent a series of follow-up texts, begging him to reply.

“Can you please call me? I know your name is John Charlton so please call me,” she wrote.

“Please John, did Ingrid say anything about someone coming to see her after you separated from her last night. We can’t find her or her car. As I said her phone and ID and purse are at her house but she and her car are gone without a trace. Any help would be appreciated. We are desperate. She would never just go off and leave her family.”

Charlton later told police that he and Lyne had been dating for about a month and he had spent the night at her home in the past, the records allege. He allegedly said that he believed he and Lyne had sex Friday night after the Mariner’s game, but he was “so intoxicated” that he couldn’t remember how they got back to her home or what happened when they got there.

He allegedly added that Lyne was acting “weird.”

On Tuesday, detectives found blood, pieces of flesh and a 15-inch pruning saw in the bathroom of Lyne’s home, the records state. They also found trash bags they said were similar to the ones in which Lyne’s remains were found.

Charlton has been arrested and is being held under investigation of homicide, but he has not yet been charged.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Lyne Family Statement: ‘A Light Went Out of Our Lives Forever’

Lyne’s family released a statement on Tuesday, saying “a light went out of our lives forever.”

Ingrid Lyne (in white) with friends at her 40th birthday
Courtesy Crissa Franceschina
Ingrid Lyne with a friend
Courtesy Crissa Franceschina

“Ingrid, beloved mother, daughter, sister and friend was taken from us for reasons we still cannot comprehend. Our hearts are broken and can never be fully mended,” the family said.

Friends of Lyne have started a GoFundMe page to help support Lyne’s three daughters.

You May Like