Independence Police Department
September 24, 2015 04:15 PM

A 17-year-old girl has been accused of suffocating her 6-week-old son, an Independence, Missouri, police spokesman tells PEOPLE.

Whitley Evenson is charged with second-degree murder in the death of Derek Walker, who born last month. According to court documents obtained by PEOPLE, authorities responded to a report of an infant that wasn’t breathing on Sept. 16. When they arrived, a firefighter tried to perform CPR to save the infant’s life, but it was too late.

Evenson told police that she’d fed and changed the baby before putting him down for a nap and falling asleep herself. When she woke up about three hours later, she discovered her son wasn’t breathing and asked a friend who was in the house to call 911.

But responding officers noted that the baby had dried blood around his nostrils and bruises on the back of his neck and head, according to the court documents.

Several days later, police were contacted by Evenson’s own brother, who told them that she had admitted to putting her hand over the baby’s mouth because he was crying and she was upset about a break-up. He told authorities that he didn’t believe that story either because he’d seen her chatting with a new boyfriend on Facebook.

Police followed up with Evenson, who allegedly confessed to becoming “agitated” when her son began crying. “She admitted to putting her hand over the victim’s mouth to try and quiet the victim down,” the court documents read.

When asked to estimate how long she kept her hand there, Evenson initially had trouble coming up with a time frame. However, she later insisted, “It wasn’t even a minute,” according to the court documents.

Eventually, Evenson admitted that she “knew what she did was wrong.” When she was left alone in the interview room, she pleaded for forgiveness.

“I take full responsibility for my actions,” Evenson said while alone in the interview room, according to the court documents. “Please forgive me? I’ll serve time, I don’t care. Please forgive me? I just want to go home and see my family. Forgive me please?”

She is being held on $100,000 bond.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

You May Like