Watch Murdered Marine Wife Erin Corwin's Husband Reveal Their Last Conversation in Dateline Preview
Jonathan Corwin, the wife of Erin Corwin, is speaking out for the first time in Dateline's special "The Last Day"
Jonathan Corwin, the Marine whose wife Erin Corwin was murdered by her lover in 2014, is speaking out for the first time on television in a Dateline network exclusive special, “The Last Day.”
Opening up about the June day that Erin, 19, disappeared after leaving their home at the Twentynine Palms Marine base in California, Jonathan speaks somberly as he details what would be their final goodbye.
“She had woke[sic] up and gotten dressed and gave me a kiss goodbye,” he reveals in the exclusive clip.
“[She] said, ‘Hey, I’m heading out for the day and I love you,’ ” he recalls. “I told her, ‘I love you too,’ and I rolled back over and went to sleep.”
Lee, a former Twentynine Palms Marine, confessed in court to strangling Erin and throwing her body down a 140-foot desert mineshaft.
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
Erin, who was allegedly pregnant at the time of her death (Corwin had told friends and loved ones that she was expecting, but medical examiners could not confirm it) was missing for nearly two months before her remains were found in the mineshaft near Joshua Tree National Park.
Lee’s switch to a guilty plea came as a surprise during his trial. He abruptly recanted his not-guilty plea and announced that he acted on impulse in killing his neighbor Erin. The 26-year-old claimed that he was partially motivated by his suspicion that Erin had molested his 6-year-old daughter.
In a statement at his sentencing, Lee asserted that he killed Erin in a rage and confessed to “save his humanity.”
Dateline‘s full coverage of Erin’s murder, and interviews with Jonathan, her mother and more, airs Friday at 9 p.m on NBC.
- Chrissy Metz Was 'Emotional' to Learn About Mandy Moore's Pregnancy: It Was 'Really Special'
- Zach Braff Says Nick Cordero's Wife Amanda Kloots Is One of 'the Strongest Human Beings I Have Ever Met'
- ‘I Don’t Think It’s a Blessing’: Hundreds of COVID Survivors and Their Loved Ones Send Open Letter to Trump
- Meet the Man Who Styled Jackie Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe's Hair — But Never Shared Their Secrets