Trump Under Attack: The Donald Is Hacked by Anonymous and Son Eric Receives Threatening Letter Containing White Powder
The hacker group Anonymous has declared "total war" on Donald Trump
The NYPD and the FBI are investigating after Donald Trump‘s son Eric received a suspicious piece of mail containing white powder and a threatening note demanding that his father drop out of the 2016 race.
On Thursday night, the NYPD responded to a call at Trump Parc East, the luxury residential building where Eric and his wife, Lara, live, ABC News reports. A test proved the substance in the letter did not appear to be hazardous, a Trump Organization source who was briefed on the matter tells ABC.
The letter, which had a Massachusetts postmark and was opened by Eric’s wife, said something to the effect of: “Either Donald Trump drops out of the race or next time this will be real,” according to ABC’s source.
Trump security immediately called the authorities, prompting a large response from the NYPD, the city fire department and other agencies. The NYPD also checked other Trump locations, including Trump Tower, for anything suspicious.
An NYPD squad car was still standing guard outside Eric’s apartment building early Friday morning.
Trump’s son received the suspicious letter on the same day the hacker group Anonymous claimed it had hacked the GOP front-runner and released his cell phone and social security numbers in a YouTube clip.
“Donald Trump has set his ambitions on the White House in order to promote an agenda of fascism and xenophobia as well as the religious persecution of Muslims through totalitarian policies,” a masked speaker says in the video.
“We do not forget. Donald Trump, you should have expected us,” adds the speaker for Anonymous, which declared “total war” on Trump earlier this week.
Trump’s campaign issued this statement in response, according to ABC News: “The government and law enforcement authorities are seeking the arrest of the people responsible for attempting to illegally hack Mr. Trump’s accounts and telephone information.”
A government official tells ABC that federal authorities are investigating.