Police in Vallejo are determining whether Denise Huskins and her boyfriend concocted a plot to fake her kidnapping

By Kathy Ehrich Dowd
March 26, 2015 05:30 PM
Vallejo Police Department/AP

A California couple are under investigation after seemingly plotting a fake kidnapping that garnered national attention before their plot was exposed.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Denise Huskins was found safe Wednesday in southern California, two days after her boyfriend, Aaron Quinn, called police to say the physical therapist had been forcibly kidnapped from the home they share on Mare Island in the northern California city of Vallejo.

“Today, there is no evidence to support the claims that this was a stranger abduction or an abduction at all,” Vallejo Police Lt. Kenny Park said Wednesday, according to the Chronicle. “Given the facts that have been presented thus far, this event appears to be an orchestrated event and not a kidnapping.”

Quinn’s initial call set off an intensive search for the 29-year-old, which included employing dive teams around Mare Island, Vallejo police said in a statement.

In a bizarre twist, the Chronicle also received an anonymous email that included a voice recording of a woman who claimed to be Huskins.

“I’m kidnapped, otherwise I’m fine. Earlier today, there was a plane crash in the Alps, and 158 people died,” she said to verify that the recording was recent.

The email sender also reportedly wrote that Huskins “will be returned safely [Wednesday]. We will send a link to her location after she has been dropped off. She will be in good health and safe while she waits. Any advance on us or our associates will create a dangerous situation for Denise. Wait until she is recovered and then proceed how you will. We will be ready.”

At a press conference Wednesday evening, Park said the police department questioned the kidnapping from the start.

“The statement that Mr. Quinn provided was such an incredible story, we initially had a hard time believing it,” Park said, according to ABC 7, while confirming the purported ransom sought was $8,500.

Park also said Huskins did not respond to their offer to fly her back to Vallejo on a private jet to question her about the alleged kidnapping after she was discovered safe at her mother’s house in Huntington Beach, the news station reports. She has also hired an attorney, Park said.

Police are looking into whether charges will be filed against the couple, but in the meantime, Park spoke out about the resources that were “wasted” as authorities searched for Huskins.

“[The couple have] plundered valuable resources away from our community and have taken the focus away from the true victims of our community while instilling fear amongst our community members,” Park said, according to the Chronicle. “So, if anything, it is Mr. Quinn and Ms. Huskins that owe this community an apology.”

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.