Metropolitan Police Department
July 21, 2015 11:05 AM

During a court hearing on Monday, a detective revealed new details in the grisly quadruple homicide that claimed the lives of businessman Savvas Savopoulos, his wife Amy, their 10-year-old son Philip and housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa.

The four were found dead in May after authorities were called to put out a fire at the Savopoulos’ multimillion-dollar home in Woodley Park, Washington, D.C.

While being questioned for hours in court, Det. Jeffrey Owens revealed that two of the four victims – Savopoulos and Figueroa – had been strangled to death before the house was set ablaze, CBS News reports.

Thus far, authorities have one suspect in custody for the killings: 34-year-old Daron Dylon Wint, who was apprehended a week after the four bodies were first found. He was linked to the slayings after his DNA was found on a piece of pizza crust inside the home. However, during questioning, Owens said that Wint could not possibly have acted alone.

The defense seemed to point at Savopoulos’ assistant Jordan Wallace, referred to only as Witness 1 in court, as a possible suspect. Wallace, who delivered $40,000 in cash to the home just hours before it was set on fire, has not been charged with any crime, but police previously indicated that they found his changing story to be suspicious.

Owens testified on Monday that Wallace changed his story several times, including how his boss contacted him to retrieve the money, where he left it and when he was told to pick it up.

Wallace also texted photos of the cash to his girlfriend, identified as Witness 2 in court documents.

Owens spoke about a third witness, who saw a man driving the family’s Porsche before it was found torched. The witness described the man as a slim black man in his late 20s or early 30s, with short “edged” hair. Wint, however, has his hair styled in long braids.

He added that police are still analyzing more than a hundred pieces of evidence in the case.

Throughout the hearing, one of the Savopoulos’ surviving daughters, 19-year-old Abigail, sat in the front row of the courtroom taking notes and staring unflinchingly at Wint. Her grandfather sat beside her, The Washington Post reports. Abigail and her sister were away from home at the time of the killings.

Wint has been charged with first-degree murder in the deaths. He has not yet entered a plea.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

You May Like