Jeff McCurry/Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden via The Cincinatti Enquirer/ AP
June 02, 2016 11:40 AM

brightcove.createExperiences(); PEOPLE confirms that investigators have concluded their probe into the circumstances that preceded a 4-year-old boy’s fall into the Cincinnati Zoo’s gorilla exhibit, impelling zookeepers to fatally shoot a 17-year-old endangered silverback gorilla.

Julie Wilson, a spokeswoman for Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters, tells PEOPLE the investigation into Saturday’s incident has been wrapped up, and that the police department’s findings have been turned over to Deters for his review.

Wilson claims that at some point today, Deters will sit down to begin his analysis of the department’s recommendations, and could issue a determination his before the weekend.

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer and various media reports, authorities are not recommending criminal charges against the boy’s mother. However, Rocky Merz, Cincinnati’s director of communications, tells PEOPLE no such decision has been made.

“Some media outlets are reporting that no charges have been filed in the Cincinnati Zoo Incident,” Merz explains. “This is premature as the investigation is continuing and is still being reviewed by the Hamilton County Prosecutor’s office.”

Merz adds: “No determination has been made at this time nor has anything been issued or released from the Cincinnati Police Department, the City Manager’s Officer, nor the Prosecutor’s Office.”

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Wilson agrees the media speculation regarding the police department’s findings is unfounded.

Cincinnati police launched an investigation into Saturday’s incident earlier this week, with a focus on determining whether the boy’s mother, 32-year-old Michelle Gregg, should be held responsible for what happened.

Police have released audio from the 911 call Gregg made Saturday afternoon as the massive primate dragged her son through a murky moat.

The boy suffered only minor injuries while the male gorilla was shot to death, sparking outrage nationwide and spurring calls for Gregg’s arrest on social media.

In a statement, the Greggs thanked zoo officials for the actions they took “to protect our child. We are also very appreciative for the expressions of concern and support that have been sent to us. Some have offered money to the family, which we do not want and will not accept.”

Instead, the family suggests such donations be made to the Cincinnati Zoo in Harambe’s name.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has revealed it is conducting its own investigation into the safety protocols and day-to-day operations of the zoo.

You May Like