One of the officers was on his first day on the job

By Chris Harris
Updated September 14, 2016 01:05 PM

A Phoenix, Arizona, man is behind bars on three counts of attempted murder after allegedly intentionally driving his car into three police officers, seriously injuring two, PEOPLE confirms.

In surveillance video released hours after the Tuesday morning attack, 44-year-old Marc LaQuon Payne’s red car can be seen accelerating toward the officers, who are shown standing together and talking outside a convenience store next to an unmarked police vehicle.

As the policemen notice the vehicle speeding towards them, one is able to dive out of the way while the other two are not.

According to a statement from a Phoenix Police Department spokesman obtained by PEOPLE, the car fractured one of the fleeing officer’s legs and threw another officer – who was on the first day on the job – eight feet into the air.

The video appears to show the o rookie officer struggling with Payne, fighting through the pain of his injuries to handcuff the suspect.

The officers utilized stun guns to subdue Payne.

“This was a violent, cowardly act on our police officers,” said Phoenix Police Chief Joe Yahner during a press conference Tuesday evening. The chief called the rookie cop’s actions “heroic,” and said he was “very proud” of how the three officers “reacted and used the least amount of force necessary to put him in custody.”

Yahner told reporters Payne had been sitting in his parked car for several minutes before allegedly turning on the engine and gunning it.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

“As a department, we are very fortunate these officers were not killed or more seriously injured,” Yahner said. “We are living in uncertain times, and this is yet another reminder of how important it is to stay vigilant, and to watch out for one another. The actions taken by our officers in the immediate moments following this incident were nothing short of heroic.”

In addition to the attempted murder counts, Payne is facing two aggravated assault charges.

Payne was hospitalized with serious injuries he’d sustained in the collision. He has yet to plea to the charges against him and has not yet hired a lawyer to represent him.