March 28, 2016 03:30 PM

The U.S. Capitol and the White House were put on lockdown for approximately one hour on Monday after a man allegedly rushed through the security screening area of the Visitors Center of the Capitol and pointed a gun at a Capitol Police officer before he was non-fatally shot by an officer, Chief Matthew Verderosa told reporters during a Monday press conference.

After he was shot, the man was transported to an area hospital where he is currently undergoing surgery, Verderosa said. Verderosa did not have an update on the man’s condition.

The suspect’s weapon was recovered, and the lockdown of the Capitol Building and the White House was lifted at 3:40 p.m., approximately one hour after the incident. The Capitol reopened for official busieness, though the visitor center remains closed, according to a tweet by the Senate Sergeant at Arms.

Verderosa said “an uninvolved female bystander” was injured on Monday and suffered “what appear to be minor injuries.” He discredited earlier reports a police officer had been wounded.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

While Verderosa said the identity of the suspect is not confirmed, he said, “We believe that the suspect is known to us… through previous contacts.”

The chief said investigators believe the man allegedly acted alone, and that Monday s incident was not terrorism. “There is no reason to believe that this is anything more than a criminal act,” he said.

The alleged gunman’s car was recovered and police have requested a search warrant so they can comb through the vehicle for evidence, Verderosa said.

The man drew attention when he set off an alarm while allegedly rushing through the security screening area, Verderosa said. He was not sure how many officers fired upon the suspect.

“It appeared that the screening process worked the way it’s supposed to,” Verderosa said.

You May Like