Kevin Crane survived shooting himself in the head after allegedly killing his ex-wife while she was at work Saturday afternoon

By Harriet Sokmensuer
March 19, 2018 02:08 PM

A mother-of-two is dead and her ex-husband is in custody after he allegedly fatally shot her and then turned the gun on himself Saturday in an attempted murder-suicide that played out in view of shoppers in an upscale California mall, PEOPLE confirms.

Parisa Siddiqi, 29, of Thousand Oaks, California, was fatally shot while at work in a retail store inside The Oaks Mall in Thousand Oaks, the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

The suspect, identified as the victim’s ex-husband, Kevin Crane, 33, allegedly turned the gun on himself after he shot Siddiqi, say police.

Crane is now in critical condition at a local hospital, say police.

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

From left: Parisa Siddiqi, Kevin Crane
| Credit: Facebook

Crane has not yet been charged with a crime as authorities are waiting to see if he recovers from his injuries, Sgt. Eric Buschow tells PEOPLE.

Crane works as a realtor at Pacific Rim, according to the company’s website. On his professional bio, he claims he worked as a child actor with Disney and Warner Brothers.

According to a source with knowledge of Disney Channel series and movie credits, “There is no record of Kevin Crane starring in a Disney Channel series or movie.”

Warner Brothers could not be reached for comment Monday.

The couple had two young children together who are staying with family, according to the Ventura County Star.

Authorities were able to piece together what occurred Saturday afternoon by looking at mall security surveillance footage and by speaking to eyewitnesses.

Crane allegedly arrived at the mall at around 2:09 p.m. He went straight from his car to Paper Source, where Siddiqi worked, and allegedly argued with his ex-wife before shooting her, Buschow told the Star.

Authorities received the first 911 call at 2:17 p.m., Buschow said.

• For more compelling True Crime coverage, follow our Crime magazine on Flipboard

A friend of the late mother of two, who did not want to be identified, told PEOPLE Siddiqi “was the most genuine person” she had ever met.

“She possessed an unimaginable amount of strength,” her friend added. “Her kids were her number one priority. She was their whole world, and they were hers.

“I can sincerely say she was a loyal friend, a strong woman, and an absolute joy to be around. She was incredibly compassionate towards friends, and always put everyone else first. I’ll miss her terribly.”

On Sunday, the mall reopened after being locked down following the killing, according to the Star. However, Paper Source remained closed and issued a statement on a piece of paper taped to the store window saying store personnel were saddened by the loss of “our beloved colleague and team member.”

The note added, “Our thoughts and prayers are with her family, and most of all her two children, through this difficult time,” according to the Star.

Siddiqi’s devastated colleagues described her as “a warm and loving mother, daughter and friend, and a wonderful co-worker who brought her creativity to work every day” in a GoFund Me page set up to raise money for her two boys, who are 3 and 4 years old.