AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert
March 24, 2016 11:50 AM

A U.S. State Department spokesperson said at a Wednesday press briefing that officials are aware of “approximately a dozen” U.S. citizens injured in the terror attacks in Brussels that killed at least 31 people and injured more than 270.

State Department spokesperson Mark Toner said, “At this time, we are not aware of any U.S. citizen deaths.”

However, Toner added, “We must must emphasize that a number of U.S. citizens remain unaccounted for, and the Kingdom of Belgium has not yet released nationality information for reported fatalities.”

Toner did not identify who the missing Americans are or discuss their conditions.

On Tuesday, PEOPLE reported that a U.S. Air Force service member and his family were among those injured during two bombings at the Brussels Airport. Citing concerns about privacy, an Air Force spokesperson did not release the family’s names or describe the extent of their injuries.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Three Mormon missionaries from Utah were also injured during the explosions at Brussels’ Zaventem airport: Richard Norby, 66, Joseph Empey, 20 and Mason Wells, 19.

Wife and husband Stephanie and Justin Shults, 29 and 30, respectively are currently missing also. Stephanie’s aunt, Betty Newsom, tells PEOPLE that the couple had just dropped off Stephanie’s mother, Carolyn Moore, at the airport when two explosions went off. The mother survived but the couple hasn’t been heard from since.

“[The mother] doesn’t know if they stayed in the airport or if they got up and moved to somewhere else,” Moore said.

Sascha and Alexander Pinczowski, a brother and sister from New York, were also in the airport and are also currently missing. Friend Mark Lewis told PEOPLE that they were on the phone with their mother when their call got cut off during the explosion: “Their mom was the last to speak to them, but their call was cut off after the explosion,” he said.


You May Like