Hassan Razzaq's family has been fighting for his release, claiming the teen acted in self-defense

By Tara Fowler
August 25, 2015 12:35 PM
Advertisement
Courtesy Fundly

A Brooklyn teen is out of jail on $1 million bail after he stabbed his allegedly abusive father to death to protect himself and his siblings.

Hassan Razzaq, 19, was indicted by a grand jury for murder three weeks ago, but his family has been fighting for his release from a cell on Rikers Island ever since. On Monday, they got their wish.

“When I heard he was coming home, I could not control how happy I was,” the accused’s sister told ABC News after Hassan finally posted bail last week thanks to his family’s efforts.

Their support has been overwhelming: Hassan’s four siblings, ranging in age from 11 to 21, gathered outside the courtroom wearing “Free Hassan Razzaq” T-shirts. “For someone charged with murder in the second degree, the support is like nothing I’ve seen before,” said Michael Cibella, Hassan’s defense attorney.

“Everyone is happy,” he added to The Brooklyn Paper. “The mother is beside herself happy – her son is coming home.”

Police claim that Hassan stabbed his sleeping father Mohammed in the neck with two kitchen knives in July. Surveillance footage from that night shows Hassan walking into a deli afterwards with blood on his hands.

But the teen’s lawyer says he acted in self-defense, citing an alleged years-long history of physical and sexual abuse.

“Everyone understands and recognizes the trauma that this family and my client have been through ever since they’ve been here in America, coming in 2003, the last 12 years being terrorized by my client’s father,” Cibella said.

Cibella has previously said that on the night of the murder, Hassan endured hours of abuse before finally acting.

“The father came home unexpectedly,” Cibella told the New York Post. “The minute he came through the door, he started assaulting my client and his sister. That’s how he says, ‘I’m back from Pakistan.’ ”

Cibella claimed that Mohammed grabbed Hassan’s 15-year-old sister and dragged her across the floor for wearing too-short shorts. “Do you want boys to have sex with you?” Mohammed allegedly asked.

Hassan has pleaded not guilty in the stabbing. He was released on Monday on the condition that he wears an ankle-monitoring bracelet at all times.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.