FBI

Survivors' reactions vary from celebration to trepidation over Tsarnaev's punishment

By
May 15, 2015 08:45 PM

Survivors of the Boston Marathon bombings have reacted via social and traditional media to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s death sentence.

On Friday, a Massachusetts jury sentenced 21-year-old Tsarnaev to death for his role in the bombings, making him the youngest person on federal death row. He was convicted of 30 federal counts last month – the bombing killed 3 people and injured more than 250 others.

Adrianne Haslet-Davis, a dancer who lost part of her leg from the blast, Tweeted Friday:

Rebekah Gregory, an amputee who went back to finish the marathon this year said:

Sydney Corcoran, who also suffered a leg injury and whose mother, Celeste, lost both legs, wrote:

But Roseann Sdoia, another victim that suffered a leg injury told CBS News that the sentencing would not change her life very much, and added, “I’m just moving forward and trying to put it behind me, and the more it’s discussed, the more that it’s in the way. So, for me it was just – glad that it was over.”

Bill and Denise Richards, who lost their 8-year-old son Martin in the attack, explained their reasons in The Boston Globe for opposing the death penalty for Tsarnaev.

“We understand all too well the heinousness and brutality of the crimes committed. We were there. We lived it. The defendant murdered our 8-year-old son, maimed our 7-year-old daughter, and stole part of our soul,” they wrote.

“We know that the government has its reasons for seeking the death penalty, but the continued pursuit of that punishment could bring years of appeals and prolong reliving the most painful day of our lives. We hope our two remaining children do not have to grow up with the lingering, painful reminder of what the defendant took from them, which years of appeals would undoubtedly bring.”

Tsarnaev, who will be added to the waiting list for lethal injection, has the legal right to appeal the decision.

You May Like

EDIT POST