Deranisha Williams of Hammond, Louisiana, had been missing since Sept. 5

Deranisha Willaims
Deranisha Williams
| Credit: Facebook

Missing since Sept. 5, Deranisha Williams of Hammond, Louisiana, was last seen at a family gathering around 6 p.m. Then she left with her boyfriend to stop by a nearby convenience store.

She never returned to the gathering -- and her family never spoke to her again.

At that point, police began searching for Williams' boyfriend, 55-year-old Randolph "Randy" Skinner, Sr., who was wanted for obstruction of justice.

They heard from him almost a month later.

On Oct. 2, Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office received a call from the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff’s Office about a murder.

“They told us they received a call from a distressed male,” Livingston Parish Sheriff Jason Ard said in a press release. “During this call, the male confesses to a crime. He claims to have murdered an acquaintance. He then details a possible crime scene -- his home. His home ends up being located in Livingston Parish. We -- along with TPSO -- responded to Skinner Lane today.”

Randolph "Randy" Skinner Sr.
Randolph Skinner
| Credit: Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff

There, police discovered the body of Skinner, who died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, as well as the body of a woman found outside the home.

On Tuesday, the coroner positively identified the remains as Williams. Police said the preliminary cause of death appears to be manual strangulation.

Police believe Williams was killed on or around the date she disappeared.

“[I'd] never know that I would be living in a movie. That’s how it feels, and I’m still waiting to wake up,” Deranisha’s mother, Danielle Williams, told WAFB. “And what hurts so much is that I can never hear her voice again, like I can never talk to her again, I can never ... nothing with her.”

Deranisha Williams
Deranisha Williams
| Credit: Facebook

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE's free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

Danielle Williams also said, “…I called [Skinner] every day, and he gave me a different story. Every day. ... and when that Thursday came, I told him on the phone, something ain’t right, my daughter better talk to me by now."

Danielle’s mother told WAFB her 21-year-old daughter had recently broken up with Skinner and that the couple had a bumpy relationship.

“We would’ve found her. To the end of this earth, I was going to search, we were going to find her, even if there wasn’t nothing but bones, we was going to find her,” she said.