Two Bill Cosby Accusers Speak Out After Quaaludes Reveal in Unsealed Court Documents: 'It's a Game Changer and It's About Time'
"I'm just so relieved that the truth has come out," Joan Tarshis said on CNN Tonight
Two of Bill Cosby‘s accusers have spoken out after newly released documents reveal that Cosby admitted to giving drugs to a woman he then had sex with, and they say that this development is “just the beginning.”
Barbara Bowman and Joan Tarshis, who both came forward in November 2014 with allegations that the actor drugged and sexually assaulted them, appeared on CNN Tonight on Monday to discuss the 2005 federal sex-assault case in Pennsylvania that uncovered statements from Cosby that he had Quaalude prescriptions in the ’70s he intended to use on women for the purpose of having sex.
“It’s huge,” Bowman, who penned an op-ed for The Washington Post in November to share her story, told CNN’s Don Lemon. “I’ve worked so hard to tell my story and screamed my story onto deaf ears. So after 10 long years, it really was quite amazing to read my email today and it was like everything turned a 180 in a matter of a minute.”
Tarshis, who came forward shortly after Bowman with similar accusations, told the anchor that she “never thought this day would happen.”
“Why not?” Lemon asked.
“Now that the truth has come out, that he has bought drugs in order to drug women to have sex with them – I’m just so relieved that the truth has come out,” said Tarshis.
The former Cosby Show personality, now 77, has continued to deny any wrongdoing after more than 40 women have come forward with allegations in recent months. But Bowman believes that the information from 10 years ago that has now gone public is “a game changer, and it’s about time.”
“To have this long, hard journey of darkness and shame, fighting to be heard, I think we’re going to be heard now and I think this is just the beginning,” she continued.
RELATED VIDEO: Bill Cosby Admits to Drugging Women to Have Sex with Them
The unsealed documents were first obtained by the Associated Press on Monday. The suit was brought by a former Temple University employee, Andrea Constand, who alleged in 2005 that Cosby drugged and assaulted her. It was settled in 2006 under confidential terms.
Joe Cammarata, who represents accuser Tamara Green and two other women who claim Cosby sexually assaulted and drugged them in a defamation lawsuit against the comedian, said the excerpts “support the victims’ allegations against him.”
He told PEOPLE, “It’s an extraordinary turn of events which provides much-needed public light on Mr. Cosby’s behavior.”
Last month, a lawyer for Cosby told the AP of the information in the 2005 suit, “It would be terribly embarrassing for this material to come out.”