"I don't know how she could possibly cooperate with him," Dolores Troiani, one of Constand's attorneys, tells PEOPLE. "He seems to have declared war on her."
The first woman to publicly accuse Bill Cosby of sexual assault is threatening to withdraw from a criminal investigation, according to her attorney.
Andrea Constand is upset about comments about her made by Bruce L. Castor Jr., who is running for district attorney in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, this year. Castor previously held the job in 2005 when Constand first came forward with her allegations against Cosby. At the time, Castor decided against pressing charges against the star.
“I don’t know how she could possibly cooperate with him,” Dolores Troiani, one of Constand’s attorneys, tells PEOPLE. “He said she should be afraid of him. He seems to have declared war on her. Logically speaking I don’t know how a victim could trust him.”
Troiani was referring to comments Castor made Monday to The Philadelphia Inquirer in response to the defamation lawsuit Constand filed against him on Monday in federal court in Philadelphia.
“It really is stunning to see the lengths that these people will go,” Castor told the paper. “I’m a lawyer. I’m not afraid of court. I think the people who filed this lawsuit ought to be afraid.”
Constand, now 42, told authorities in 2005 that Cosby, now 78, had drugged and sexually assaulted her at his Elkins Park, Pennsylvania mansion the previous year. The decision of Castor – now a county commissioner in Montgomery County who is running for his old job – has become a campaign issue in the race for district attorney between the Republican Castor and Republican-turned-Democrat Kevin Steele, the county’s current first assistant district attorney.
Steele recently ran an ad attacking Castor for not prosecuting the case. On Monday, Castor released a statement Monday accusing Steele of being behind the defamation lawsuit. He accused Constand’s lawyers of “quite despicable behavior” and of trying to influence the November 3 election. Steele denies the accusation that he was involved in the lawsuit.
“It’s another example of his political rhetoric to try to take the attention off his actions where he continues to belittle the victim,” Steele tells PEOPLE. “Now it’s fighting with the victim and calling her names. That’s just wrong.”
Castor could not immediately be reached for comment. More than 50 women have now accused Cosby of drugging and/or sexually assaulting them. Monique Pressley, Cosby’s chief spokesperson, could not be reached for comment for this story but has previously denied all the accusations against him.
Last month, Troiani told PEOPLE that her client would cooperate with investigators should the criminal investigation against Cosby be reopened.
Troiani said last month that she and Constand were taking no stance on whether Cosby should be charged more than 10 years after the initial charges.
“That’s a prosecutorial decision and I would not presume to second guess a prosecutor,” she said.
On Monday she told PEOPLE that Constand had met with investigators, who traveled to Canada to speak with her, and that witnesses in the original case had been reinterviewed.
But after reading comments Castor made to other media Monday night, Troiani changed her mind about her client’s cooperation with the investigation if Castor is elected.
“The logical consequence of his actions is she has lost confidence in him,” Troiani says. “He just doesn’t seem to understand words have consequences. He’s saying a victim of a crime should be afraid of him and now he wants her to trust him to be a witness for him?”