November 07, 2016 09:01 PM

Two Atlanta brothers were sentenced to 20 years in prison on Monday after attempting to kill their parents.

Chrisopher and Cameron Ervin were also sentenced to 30 years probation in a Georgia court.

The two brothers were arrested in early September of 2015 after allegedly beating their parents, Yvonne and Zachary Ervin, in their home.

Christopher, 22, spoke first, apologizing to the court and everyone there. He blamed the incident on his addiction to drugs and alcohol, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Cameron, 17, expressed his regret and remorse, saying “During my time that I have spent in the Gwinnett County Detention Center fighting this case, I’ve spent two birthdays in here. I’ve had at least one visit a week, which is at least 60 visits, with my parents, one on one.”

“Thirty minutes a visit,” he continued. “That’s over just a day, two days spent talking to one another. And I realize how much I love them. And I realize how much I love them. And I realize how much they love me.”

The Ervins’ parents, who survived their sons’ attack, asked the judge to give them 10 years in prison, the lightest sentence legally possible.

Gwinnett County Superior Court Judge Ronnie Batchelor sentenced them to 20 years in prison with 30 years of probation after that.

In a frantic 911 call later released by Georgia police, Yvonne breathlessly spoke to the dispatcher, saying “Please send someone to my house. My children are trying to kill me.”

Yvonne, 50, also told the operator that her sons had attacked her and her husband after drugging them with Xanax.

“I heard them saying that they put Xanax in our drink,” she said. “That’s why we were so sleepy; we didn’t understand why we were so sleepy, but that’s why.”

“They’re trying to strangle us and shoot us,” she continued. “They beat me up, they beat [my husband] up. They’re trying to kill us. Please hurry.”

Her husband distracted his sons long enough for his wife to call police. He stumbled to the garage and attempted to blow the car horn.

When the dispatcher asked why their sons were attacking them, Yvonne didn’t have an answer. “I don’t know why they’ve done this, I really don’t,” she said. “I guess they want the insurance money; I’m not sure.”

When police arrived at the scene, Zachary was hospitalized in critical condition. Their sons were immediately arrested within the home and charged with two counts of felony aggravated assault and two felony counts of first-degree arson after police noticed that the home’s gas line had been tampered with, according to WSB-TV at the time.

Yvonne and Zachary both took the stand on their sons’ behalf, asking for leniency.

“These are not the sons we raised. My sons would not do something like this,” she said.

Her husband reiterated the message, adding “That night, being in that room, being in that house that night, I saw Satan. And I knew shortly after that that what had happened to us wasn’t my sons. And that’s why I’ve been able to stand with them to be advocates for them.”


You May Like