No Courtroom Showdown: Johnny Depp and Amber Heard's Hearing Is Pushed to August and Temporary Restraining Order Gets Reissued
The hearing “was advanced and vacated,” the L.A. County Superior Court said in a statement after a phone conference involving Depp and Heard’s lawyers. The official hearing on Heard’s permanent restraining order request has been rescheduled for Aug. 15 and 16, but a status conference has been set for Aug. 2. Heard and Depp are not required to attended the status conference. A source tells PEOPLE that Depp’s attorney Laura Wasser asked for a continuance to postpone the hearing.
Until the August hearing, Head’s temporary restraining order against Depp is still in place. According to court documents obtained by PEOPLE, the former couple can only interact to “attend meetings together to engage in settlement discussions.”
Heard was initially granted a temporary restraining order on May 27 after claiming that Depp, 53, had abused her throughout their four-year relationship.
The date change comes after a source said that Heard, 30, and her team were ready and planning to attend the scheduled hearing. “Any continuances would be requested by Depp or the judge, not Heard or her legal team,” the source said.
On Wednesday, Depp’s legal team sought to keep witnesses from taking the stand at the hearing, claiming in court documents that a witness list was not provided to them beforehand. The actor’s attorneys also want all declarations provided by Heard’s witnesses to be “be stricken and not considered by the Court because they are inadmissible hearsay.”
VIDEO: Amber Heard Withdraws Request for Temporary Spousal Support
Earlier this week, Heard dropped her request for temporary spousal support of $50,000 a month from Depp in hopes attention would focus on the “real issue of domestic violence.” The request would have been addressed during Friday’s hearing.