Francois Mori/AP
January 14, 2015 08:45 AM

The terrorist group al-Qaida in Yemen has claimed responsibility for last week’s attack on the satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo in a video released on YouTube Wednesday.

The group said the shooting spree at the magazine’s offices, which left 12 dead, was in response to the publication’s insult of the Islamic prophet Mohammed, The Hollywood Reporter said, citing an 11-minute video that was produced in Arabic with English subtitles.

“As for the blessed Battle of Paris, we, the Organization of al-Qaida al Jihad in the Arabian Peninsula, claim responsibility for this operation as vengeance for the Messenger of God,” said al-Qaida’s Yemeni leader Nasser bin Ali al-Ansi, on the video, according to the news wire Reuters.

In total, 17 people died after three-days of attacks that were carried out by three male suspects, two of whom are dead, and one woman who is still at large.

A manhunt for suspects continues as thousands of troops have been deployed to protect Jewish schools and synagogues as the nation remains on high alert, the BBC reported.

The latest recording comes as the magazine published its first weekly edition since the attack, which killed its editor and several top cartoonists and prompted world outrage along with a Paris unity march attended by 1.5 million and drawing 40 world leaders.

The new issue, with three million copies published, shows Mohammed with tears in his eyes holding a “Je Suis Charlie” sign, which has become a global symbol of solidarity and free speech. The headline reads: “All is Forgiven,” THR said.

You May Like

EDIT POST