Dina Rudick/The Boston Globe/AP
November 24, 2015 05:45 PM

The former babysitter accused of kidnapping and abusing a two-year-old Massachusetts girl last Friday was in the midst of a psychotic episode, a court psychologist testified.

Also, according to a search warrant affidavit obtained by PEOPLE, the babysitter, 21-year-old Abigain Hanna, was a suspect almost immediately after the alleged abduction.

Police were tipped off to Hanna after the toddler’s parents mentioned that Hanna had babysat for them once before she was fired. The girl’s parents reported their daughter was missing at around 7 a.m. on Friday.

The two-year-old toddler was found on the side of the road, just over three miles from Hanna’s home. The little girl was naked and dirty with her head shaved, the report says. She also had cigarette burns on her body and appeared to have road rash, according to the report. She was taken to the hospital and released on Sunday.

When police arrived at Hanna’s home, investigators allegedly noticed she was acting erratically and anxiously, and that she had dirt under her fingernails and a twig in her hair. “Abigail Hanna told us that she got dirty when she was trying to corral a stray cat, earlier in the morning, while running through the woods,” the report states.

Later when police went back to interview her again, they allegedly found a bag full of children’s clothes, including a dirty pink jacket. “Abigail Hanna said that the clothing belonged to somebody she babysat for,” the report states.

According to the report, Hanna repeatedly lied and at first denied knowing the toddler’s family but “then after some time she said that she had babysat for them one time, the parents were strict and she knew they kept the doors unlocked at their house,” the report states.

Tenant of Hanna Family Says Hanna Had Alleged History of Stealing

During the investigation, investigators also spoke to a tenant living with the Hanna family who told them that Hanna allegedly had a history of stealing things and that she would leave every night around 1:30 a.m. and return 4:30 a.m. She also said that Hanna allegedly had a miscarriage about one month earlier.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Hanna was held without bail on Monday, charged with kidnapping, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery on a child, and breaking and entering in the nighttime.

Psychologist: Hanna Has History of Suicide Attempts, Was Experiencing Psychosis

At a Monday hearing, a court psychologist said Hanna had a history of suicide attempts and memory lapses and didn’t seem to understand why she was in court. Hannah was experiencing “multiple psychotic symptoms,” Dr. Tammy Howe testified.

A judge ordered her to undergo a 21-day evaluation at the Worcester Recovery Center and is due back in court for a dangerousness hearing on December 11.

Hanna’s attorney Susan H. McNeil said her client, who has pleaded not guilty, was “addressing serious and potentially life threatening issues,” in a statement obtained by PEOPLE. “These issues have clearly impacted her overall mental health. We are in the early stages of the process of trying to determine the facts of what occurred over the past several days.”

The toddler’s parents released a statement about the incident prior to Monday’s hearing.

“We have suffered a horrific ordeal,” the statement says. “We are grateful to have our daughter back. We are extremely thankful for the incredible efforts to rescue our daughter by the Police and all emergency responders.”

The statement added, “We are extremely grateful to the kind couple who found our daughter. We are extremely thankful for having the best family, friends and community supporting us through this difficult time.”

Hanna’s family said they were happy the little girl was improving. “Our thoughts and prayers are with them,” they said in a statement. “We also will continue to care for Abi, whom we love very much. We ask that everyone respect the privacy of both families in this very difficult time.”

You May Like