Nipsey Hussle Memorial Procession Struck By Violence: Drive-By Leaves 1 Dead, 3 Injured
The incident occurred after the rapper's Los Angeles memorial on Thursday
Los Angeles police are pleading for the “senseless violence” to end after gunfire erupted once again as mourners celebrated the life of the late rapper Nipsey Hussle.
One person is dead and three more injured after a drive-by shooting along Hussle’s 25.5-mile long funeral procession route Thursday evening.
Los Angeles Police Chief Michael Moore confirmed the incident on Twitter writing, “In the midst of this procession we have a multi-4 shooting at 103 St. and Main St.”
Moore revealed the victims are “3 male blacks and 1 female black — ages from 30- 50 years old. Tragically one is deceased.”
Moore says the gunshots came from suspects driving a grey Hyundai.
“We must stop this senseless violence,” Moore pleaded.
The tragic shooting came just hours after Hussle’s emotional memorial at the Staples Center. The celebrated artist died after being shot on March 31 outside of his Marathon Clothing store in Hyde Park.
During the ceremony, Hussle’s longtime love Lauren London, who he shares 2-year-old son Kross with, tearfully paid tribute to the rapper.
“Never would I prepare for something like this so bear with me, all,” the 34-year-old actress told the crowd of 21,000 who had gathered to pay respects to the artist born Ermias Joseph Asghedom.
Beginning her eulogy with a text message she wrote on Jan. 21, London, who was dressed in all white with black sunglasses, read the loving words she put together for her boyfriend of six years.
“Ermias was asleep one morning and I was watching him because I used to love to watch him sleep and I wrote him a text while he was sleeping so when he woke up he would read it,” said London, who also shared a copy of the text message in the funeral’s pamphlet.
“I want you to know I feel real joy in my heart when I’m around you. I feel safe around you. Protected. Like a shield over me when you’re around, I am totally myself when I’m with you,” London had written. “You’ve made me into more of a woman. You’ve given me an opportunity to really love a man,” she continued.
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
Hussle’s mother Angelique Smith also spoke at length about the love and connection she had with her late son.
Taking the podium during the slain rapper’s public memorial, Smith held back tears as she opened up about her son, their years together and her hope for the South Los Angeles community he left behind.
“I have perfect peace. I am happy. I am complete. I am strong. And if I can feel this way, you can, too,” she told the thousands of mourners. After calling Hussle’s father Dawit Asghedom to the stage, she talked of finding comfort and guidance in her spirituality.
“We call on the energies who guide and protect us as we make our way in life. We call on our ancestors to join us at this service,” she said, before naming deceased family members. “I would ask that all of our ancestors guide and protect us.”
Smith went on to recount how she learned her son had been shot. She shared that she had sensed something bad was going to happen in the weeks leading up to the moment. “I had not slept for two weeks leading up to this event on Sunday. When I went there I was not at perfect peace,” she recalls of turning up at Hussle’s Marathon Clothing store that day. Hearing from police that he’d been shot: “My spirit said ‘Oh, that’s it.’”
One week before the shooting at Hussle’s procession, hundreds of grieving fans found themselves running for their lives after chaos erupted when somebody opened fire on some members of the crowd.
Initially, police said there was no shooting but 19 people had been injured in the panic and some had been stabbed. However, two women were later found to have been shot.
Eric Holder, 29, has since been charged with Hussle’s murder, as well as two counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon, according to a release from the Los Angeles County’s District Attorney’s Office.
On April 4, he entered a plea of not guilty in court. The aspiring rapper could face a maximum sentence of life in state prison if convicted.