Death of 4-Month-Old Baby at Connecticut Daycare Caused by High Levels of Benadryl: Police
"The consumption of the medication wasn't accidental," the police chief says
Toxicology tests on a 4-month-old boy whose March 22 death at an unlicensed home daycare in Connecticut was ruled a homicide show he died from high levels of Benadryl in his system, police say.
“It’s a parent’s worst nightmare and our hearts are broken for the parents of this young child,” Fairfield Police Chief Gary MacNamara tells PEOPLE. “We have an obligation to the parents to do a thorough investigation and determine who is responsible for this.”
Since the death of Adam Seagull, the home-based daycare has been shuttered by state officials, according to MacNamara, who says the child wasn’t sick at the time of his death and his body showed no signs of trauma.
MacNamara tells PEOPLE that while no charges have been filed yet, someone at some point will be held accountable for Adam’s death.
“The consumption of the medication wasn’t accidental,” says MacNamara. “This baby was 4-months-old. Someone administered Benadryl to this child. I am not saying there was intent to kill the baby, but as a result of that Benadryl, this child died. We are working to determine who, when and why this baby was given these meds.”
MacNamara says Adam’s death should serve as a cautionary tale for parents.
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
“This daycare center had been operating without the proper licensing,” the chief says. “Without that licensing, there are no checks and balances. Without the proper training, you can’t ensure a child’s safety.”