An Albuquerque, New Mexico, woman and her boyfriend were accidentally shot by his 3-year-old son in their motel room

By Caitlin Keating
Updated February 02, 2015 04:45 PM

A 3-year-old boy accidentally shot his father and his girlfriend on Saturday, Albuquerque Police Department Officer Simon Drobik tells PEOPLE.

The boy was living in a motel room at Americas Best Value Inn in Albuquerque, New Mexico, with Justin Reynolds, Monique Villescas and her 2-year-old daughter.

He was supposedly going into Villescas’s purse to find an iPad.

Instead, he pulled out a 9mm handgun and fired.

One bullet hit his father in the buttock, exited through his hip and then hit Villescas, who is 8-months pregnant, in the shoulder.

When Drobik arrived on the scene, he found Villescas sitting on the ground, experiencing heavy blood loss and a lot of pain.

Reynolds was lying face down on the bed.

Two pit bulls were also in the room, which had feces throughout it.

“The mother told us that she had obtained the gun earlier that day from a pawn shop,” Drobik said. “But this woman never should have a gun in the first place.”

Her boyfriend is a convicted felon, according to Drobik, and has an extensive criminal history.

Reynolds told KOB-TV that he and Villescas were getting ready to order pizza when the incident occurred.

“It was like if I was to get up shake your hand and sat back down. That’s how fast it happened,” Reynolds said. “All of a sudden we heard a gun go off and the next minute I realized my girlfriend was bleeding. Then I sat down and realized I was shot, too.”

He said he then called 911 and grabbed some towels to try and stop the bleeding.

“I just took action right away. I was more worried about my girlfriend than myself and anything else that was going on. And my son because I didn’t know if he had shot himself or not. He was shocked and crying. It was traumatizing.”

Drobik thinks this accident was totally preventable.

“These are two extremely irresponsible gun owners and people,” he said. “They were very lucky that the gun didn’t hit the 2-year-old girl or the woman in the stomach.”

Reynolds was released from the hospital by Saturday night and Villescas is still recovering in the hospital.

“This is not just some random family that experienced this awful accidental shooting,” Drobik says. “This was a snowball effect of parents who have a criminal history and have also had the kids taken away from them in the past.”

The children are currently in the care of the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department.