Police said two men were found dead in a small office in an engineering building on campus

By Char Adams
June 01, 2016 01:25 PM

The shooting that locked down campus and canceled classes Wednesday at the University of California, Los Angeles during finals week, was a murder-suicide, police have confirmed.

Two men were found shot dead in an office in Boelter Hall, an engineering building on campus. Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck told reporters that a “homicide and a suicide occurred,” adding that the situation was “entirely contained.”

“We believe there are no suspects outstanding and no continued threat to UCLA’s campus,” he said, noting that a gun was found in the office.

According to ABC, the victim has been identified as William S. Klug, an engineering professor at the university. A friend of Klug described him to the network as a married father of two who also coached little league baseball and soccer.

William Klug

Police responded to reports of gunfire at the building just before 10 a.m., and university officials issued an alert to students to “shelter in place,” according to the university’s Twitter account.

“Shooting at Engineering 4,” one alert stated. “Go to secure location and deny entry (lockdown) now!”

Students in the building reportedly told KTLA that the shooter is a student, but authorities have not confirmed the statement.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

Student Carrie Rapaport tweeted while on lockdown, writing that she and other students were “all sitting in the dark.”

“Using my belt to lock the door down,” she wrote alongside a photo of students near an exit door.

Rapaport tells PEOPLE that she and fellow students were on lockdown for over an hour.

“Didn’t hear anything except choppers. I’m on north campus,” she says. “All activity was on south [campus]. I am safe as well as my classmates. We are trying to stay quiet.”

Mehwish Khan, a 21-year-old psychobiology student, reportedly fled amid chaos.

“The whole campus just started running and I started running too,” she told the Los Angeles Times.

“Everyone was very confused. We got in a building, and no one knew what was going on,” she also said.