13-Year-Old Boy Shot Multiple Times in Miami-Dade; Second Shooting of Child or Teen in Two Days
The shooting follows the fatal shooting of a 7-year-old on Sunday
A day after Sunday’s fatal shooting of a 7-year-old, a 13-year-old boy was shot multiple times Monday evening in Miami-Dade County, police confirm to PEOPLE.
Eric Watson, Jr. was found by cops with multiple wounds to the upper torso, a police news release says. He was airlifted to the hospital in critical condition, according to the release.
The Miami Herald reported that Watson had been outside with his friends and that he was visiting his grandmother.
• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.
There is no description of the perpetrator or known motive, the news release says.
On Sunday, 7-year-old Amiere Castro was killed by an assault rifle in a drive-by shooting. The following day, police named 17-year-old Dravein Duke, known as “Pop,” as a suspect.
The recent shootings are part of an increase in shootings of teenagers and children in Miami-Dade. According to the Miami Herald, Miami-Dade Schools Police say that 60 children and teenagers have been shot this year compared to 45 in 2014. Among the victims are two 1-year-olds.
Miami-Dade police spokeswoman Det. Marjorie Eloi told the paper, “It’s becoming heartbreaking to … continuously come out and speak about these shootings involving children.”
“Every phone call, our hearts sink. It’s becoming a nightmare for us,” she added.