Hunter Montgomery's Devastated Mom Reveals He Died from an Overdose: We Hope His Story Helps Others
"Grieving the loss of a child is the most heart-wrenching experience any parent can imagine," Hunter's mother, Tracy Nunan, tells PEOPLE
Hunter Montgomery died of a drug overdose, his mother, Tracy Nunan, confirms to PEOPLE.
Nunan reveals she’s been pursued by media ever since her 19-year-old son’s death on Sunday. News of Hunter’s passing was posted on his father Eddie’s Montgomery Gentry Facebook page, stating he died as the result of “an accident,” but no further information was given, prompting much speculation. Nunan is now setting the record straight.
“When a family asks for privacy, there is a reason. Grieving the loss of a child is the most heart-wrenching experience any parent can imagine. It defies description,” wrote Nunan in a statement to PEOPLE, also posted on her Facebook page.
“Since the media refuses to respect our request for privacy, I’m taking another route in hope that we might get some peace for our grieving, and more important, in hope that Hunter’s story might help others. Our son died of an overdose. We believe it was accidental and will continue to believe that. We know that he needed help. Maybe Hunter’s – and our family’s – pain will help another family avoid this. Not a day will go by without our missing him. Now that your curiosity is satisfied, please have the respect to stop hounding us. Instead, take our story and use it to help others.”
Eddie Montgomery and his family have set up a fund benefiting Hunter’s infant son Bennett.
To make a contribution to the Bennett Montgomery fund, go online to Helping Hands Ministries. Mailed donations can be sent to Helping Hands Ministries, PO Box 337, Tallulah Falls, Georgia, 30573. Please note “Bennett Montgomery Fund.”
Don’t miss a beat of country music news, photos and videos! Click here to get all this and more in the PEOPLE Country Newsletter.