The country duo are calling it quits after 10 years together
After 10 years together, country superstars Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert are calling it quits. Subscribe now for an inside look into their shocking split, only in PEOPLE.
“This is not the future we envisioned,” the couple said in a statement to the Associated Press Monday. “And it is with heavy hearts that we move forward separately. We are real people, with real lives, with real families, friends and colleagues. Therefore, we kindly ask for privacy and compassion concerning this very personal matter.”
Both remained mum on social media about the split leading up to the announcement, with Lambert Tweeting about an upcoming show just hours before the statement’s release Monday afternoon.
The famous pair – who recently played an Independence Day weekend show together – have weathered rumors of relationship troubles for years, which Shelton, 39, addressed in a 2013 PEOPLE cover story.
“[I tell Miranda], ‘I have nothing to hide from you,’ ” he said at the time, noting he even let Lambert, 31, go through his phone. “That’s always been our policy: ‘Here’s my phone. Go through it.’ That’s really the kind of trust we have There are no secrets. [I’ll say], ‘Go dig through my drawers or my computer if you feel like you need to.’ And that’s been a really good thing, because I don’t want her to ever have any doubts.”
Lambert has spoken out about their relationship before, as well. Last year, upon their third wedding anniversary, she told PEOPLE, “Marriage is hard, and it’s awesome, and you should make a huge deal of it. We always try to be together, I wouldn’t want to be on opposite ends of the country on our anniversary! That time is sacred.”
Don’t miss a beat of country music news, photos and videos! Click here to get all this and more in the PEOPLE Country Newsletter.