5 Favorite Latino Couples on What Makes Their Relationships Work
From Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez to Penélope Cruz and Javier Bardem, these 5 Latino celebrity couples share what makes their relationships thrive.
These five Latino celebrity couples are #relationship goals: Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez, Luis Fonsi and wife Agueda Lopez, Maluma and girlfriend Natalia Barulich, Penélope Cruz and Javier Bardem, and Prince Royce and girlfriend Emeraude Toubia. These sweet and revealing thoughts they’ve shared about one another cue us into why they are success pairs.
1. The Power Couple: J.Lo and A-Rod took their stardom to the next level when they became J-Rod a year ago. “We are very much twins,” Rodriguez told Vanity Fair last year. “We’re both Leos; we’re both from New York; we’re both Latino and about 20 other things.” Lopez added: “I understand him in a way that I don’t think anyone else could, and he understands me in a way that no one else could ever. In his 20s, he came into big success with the biggest baseball contract [at the time]. I had a No. 1 movie and a No. 1 album and made history. We both had ups and downs and challenges in our 30s, and by our 40s we’d both been through so much. And more importantly than anything, we had both done a lot of work on ourselves.”
2. The Young and the Restless: Colombian singer Maluma met his girlfriend, Cuban Croatian model Natalia Barulich, while filming his “Felices Los 4” music video, where they share a steamy shower scene. They started out as friends, a source tells PEOPLE CHICA, but soon felt a mutual romantic attraction. After being spotted by paparazzi vacationing and cuddling in Portofino, Italy a few weeks ago, Maluma spoke to Univision’s Despierta América in January about his new love. “I’m dating her. She is a very special girl, very pretty. We love each other very much. We are starting a relationship,” he said. “I’ve always said that my private life is private but, like the saying goes: ‘You can’t cover the sun with one finger,’” he said. The two recently got matching tattoos, inking an infinity sign on their thumbs.
3. The Sweethearts: Bachata crooner Prince Royce and actress Emeraude Toubia, of Mexican and Lebanese descent, bring dream couple to a new level. Whether they are walking down the Latin Grammy red carpet or sharing an adventurous sky trip in Aspen, or a peaceful swim at a pool in Phuket, the two seem to enjoy each other’s company. “We have similar personalities,” the singer told People en Español. “She likes to work, to improve herself, to grown. I’m also a workaholic. We get along great.”
4. The Big Screen Legends: Spanish actors Penélope Cruz and Javier Bardem’s sizzling chemistry can be seen in their first film together, the 1992 dramedy Jamón Jamón. The duo got married years later and have reunited on screen for Woody Allen’s comedy Vicky Cristina Barcelona and the biopic Loving Pablo. “There was obvious chemistry between us. I mean, it’s all there on film; it’s like a document of our passion. One day we’re going to have to show the kids — imagine! ‘Mummy, Daddy, what did you do in the movies together?’ Well, my children, you should celebrate this movie as you’re here because of it,” Bardem once said to Esquire U.K. of their initial spark on their 1992 collaboration.
5. The Hot Duo: Luis Fonsi may be traveling the world and performing on stage with hot dancers, but the Puerto Rican singer only has one muse: his wife, Spanish model Agueda Lopez. The stunning couple, who turned heads at the Grammy Awards’ red carpet, are parents to Mikaela, 6, and Rocco, 1. “Moments like this, photos like this one, don’t need a caption,” Fonsi posted about the image above he shared on Instagram Feb. 14. “My smile and my happiness say it all. My superhero, super mom and super model! Happy Valentine’s Day @aguedalopez21.”