Zenyatta Poised to Make Breeders' Cup History
Zenyatta is about to show Secretariat you can leave your mark on history without being so serious.
Whether it’s her hysterical pre-race dances or the fact she loves to wash down her favorite snack of carrots with a cold Guinness beer, Zenyatta has amassed an immense and diverse following ready to tune in Saturday – as the undefeated (19-0) mare hopes to capture the Breeders’ Cup Classic in Kentucky.
Her statistics are mind-blowing, but here are a few facts that separate her from past legends.
• Jerry Moss and his wife, Ann, purchased Zenyatta for only $60,000 at the 2005 Keeneland September Yearling Sale because she suffered a form of ringworm. Quite a bargain when you consider she’s won purses totaling more than $6 million.
• She was born on April 1, 2004, but didn’t begin racing until the age of 3, after being schooled at the Mayberry Farm in Ocala, Fla.
• She was named for Zenyatta Mondatta, the 1980 rock album by The Police, who were signed to A&M records by Jerry Moss. She loves listening to their hit song “Roxanne” and also enjoys jazz music by (Moss’s partner in A&M), Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.
• Zenyatta is into social networking. Her Facebook group has more than 30,000 members, while she has close to 700 Twitter (2010Zenyatta) followers. She has countless videos on YouTube, including some of her best victories, goose-stepping dance struts and beer-drinking clips (Her trainer told 60 Minutes Sunday how much she loves Guinness).
• The 6-year-old mare loves seeing herself in magazines, despite the fact she can’t give any interviews. She’s been featured in W magazine, ESPN, Sports Illustrated and even made the 2010 Oprah Winfrey female power list.