Woman Drops Sexual Assault Suit Against David Copperfield
The beauty queen says Copperfield created insurmountable legal obstacles; the magician claims vindication
A Washington state woman withdrew her lawsuit against David Copperfield on Tuesday, nearly three years after alleging the magician sexually assaulted her on his private island in the Bahamas.
Lacey Carroll, 23, the first runner-up last year in Miss Washington USA, said in a statement Copperfield’s camp built insurmountable legal obstacles, subjecting her “to intense scrutiny and constant surveillance, while her family, friends and co-workers have been besieged with subpoenas and demands for personal information.”
Copperfield’s rep responded that Carroll’s story was “nothing but a pathetic attempt to extort Mr. Copperfield for money with malicious and false allegations.”
RELATED: Rape Case Dropped Against David Copperfield
Carroll met Copperfield at a show in Kennewick, Wash., in January 2007, when he pulled her out of the audience. She complained that when she visited his island that summer, he attacked and sexually assaulted her and threatened to kill her, leaving her extremely traumatized.
Federal prosecutors announced in January they were dropping their investigation without filing charges. No explanation was given for the action.