"They determined that there was no violation of law and no one was arrested," PIO Lt. Mark Stichter tells PEOPLE of Tarek's incident

Although Tarek El Moussa brought a gun in his backpack and headed to the Chino Hills State Park following an altercation he had with his wife, Christina, in May, no charges were filed against the HGTV star.

Under California’s state park rule 4313, all weapons (including guns, spears, bows and arrows or another other weapons capable of damaging property or injuring or killing people or animals) are forbidden from being carried or discharged in parks — “except in underwater parks or designated archery ranges where the Department of Parks and Recreation finds that it is in its best interests” — unless the owner has a concealed carry permit.

“This would not pertain to a person who has a state issued concealed carry permit or is a law enforcement officer permitted to carry a concealed weapon off duty,” a State Park representative tells PEOPLE.

According to officials, police responded to the El Moussa’s home on May 23 after receiving a “call of a possibly suicidal male with a gun.” The HGTV star had fled the home and walked northbound into the hiking tails of the Chino Hills State Park carrying a gun inside his backpack.

He was later apprehended in the park by authorities where Tarek, 35, told the officers that he did not intend to do harm, but wanted to “blow off some steam.” No charges were filed.

“They determined that there was no violation of law and no one was arrested,” Public Information Officer Lt. Mark Stichter tells PEOPLE of the incident.

As for breaking the law by going into the park with a gun, a rep for Chino Hills State Park tells PEOPLE: “California State Parks was not advised of this incident and State Parks law enforcement staff did not respond. I am sorry I am unable to provide any additional information on this incident.”

RELATED VIDEO: PEOPLE Editors Share Details About Tarek & Christina El Moussa’s Secret Split

On Monday, the couple released a joint statement to PEOPLE, saying, “We had an unfortunate misunderstanding about six months ago and the police were called to our house in an abundance of caution. There was no violence and no charges were filed.”

The pair’s statement went on to explain that they’ve decided to separate while evaluating “the future of our marriage.”