What's For Dinner? Try Curtis Stone's Spaghetti Recipe
Curtis Stone’s new cookbook What’s For Dinner? Delicious Recipes for a Busy Life is designed to help make meal time easy, fun and tasty despite everyone’s hectic schedules. And the Aussie chef and host of Top Chef Masters certainly knows about that challenge from first-hand experience.
“Our lives are so varied,” Stone says about life in L.A. with his fiancée, actress Lindsay Price, and their son Hudson, 14 months. “The only thing that’s constant is there is no consistency.”
Which makes the few quiet traditions they have that much more meaningful. One of Stone’s favorite rituals is their post-day hangout. “When we get home from work, Lindsay and I sit at the kitchen bar and have a glass of wine,” says Stone. “Hudson will sit and have a snack while we reflect on our day. It’s pretty special.”
Then, of course, it’s back to work since Stone does the majority of the cooking. One mainstay? Spaghetti with garlic, lemon, kale and Parmesan!
“What strikes me every time I go to Italy is how simple real Italian cooking is,” Stone writes in his new cookbook, out Tuesday. “This pasta doesn’t need meat, because the kale has so much character.”
Why not try making if for your family for dinner this week?
Spaghetti with Kale
- 1 lb. kale, well washed, tough stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- ¾ cup extra-virgin oil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. grated lemon zest (from about 4 lemons)
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 oz. Parmesan cheese, shaved or freshly grated
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the kale and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender. Using a mesh spoon or sieve, scoop the kale out of the water, draining it well, and transfer it to a bowl.
2. Return the water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring often to ensure it doesn’t stick together, for about 8 minutes, or until tender but still firm to the bite. Scoop out and reserve ½ cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the spaghetti.
3. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add ½ cup of the oil and the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, or just until fragrant. Stir in the kale, add the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Add the spaghetti and the remaining ¼ cup oil and toss to coat. Stir in the lemon juice, followed by half of the cheese. Season again with salt and pepper. Stir in enough of the reserved cooking water to moisten the pasta as necessary.
4. Divide the pasta among four pasta bowls, top with the remaining cheese, and serve.