"She will be the first person to say she has used [drugs] in the past," a relative tells PEOPLE
“Bobbi Kristina will be the first person to say that she has used [drugs] in the past,” a Brown family member tells PEOPLE.
But as recently as five months ago, “She swore up and down that she wasn’t using, and she seemed very adamant,” says the relative.
Police in Roswell, Ga., have declined to comment on whether illegal substances were found in the home Brown shared with her longtime love, Nick Gordon. The other person in the home at the time Brown was discovered face-down in the tub was Maxwell Lomas, a Georgia man who was arrested on drug distribution charges last month.
Brown has drawn widespread attention in the past for alleged drug use, particularly after The National Enquirer published photos in 2011 in which she can be seen leaning over a white powder.
“You’ve seen the pictures on the Internet, so you know,” says the family member. After the photos surfaced, Bobby Brown denied that his daughter had used drugs.
“My daughter, she doesn’t, she doesn’t do that,” he told ABC News at the time.
Then in July, Bobbi Kristina denied posting a photo to her Instagram account that appeared to show her using a bong.
“I’ve never posted any photo of me doing anything!” she Tweeted. “This is someone trying to tarnish and make a horrible name for MYSELf. People are insane.”
The family member says that Brown spoke strongly about avoiding the same problems that tormented her mother, whose drowning death in 2012 was caused by drugs and heart disease.
In a conversation last fall, “I said, ‘You know we’re worried about you. I hope you’re not using,’ ” recalls the relative. “She said, ‘I know how my mother died, and I’ve learned from her mistakes.’ ”
• Reporting by STEVE HELLING
More on Bobbi Kristina Brown: • Bobbi Kristina and ‘Husband’ Nick Gordon Were Never Married’
• Bobby Brown’s Bedside Song to Daughter Bobbi Kristina: ‘The Greatest Love of All’
• Were Drugs Involved with Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Near-Drowning?
• Kevin Costner on Bobbi Kristina Brown: ‘I Can’t Imagine’ What Her Family Is Going Through
• Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Family Keeping Hospital Bedside Vigil
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is ‘Fighting For Her Life,’ Family Says
• For Bobbi Kristina Brown, Minutes Without Air ‘Could Be Grim’
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Is Still Unresponsive, According to Source
• Do Bobbi Kristina Browns’s Social Media Accounts Hold Clues About Why She Was Found Unresponsive?
• Bobbi Kristina Brown: Inside the Troubled Life of Whitney Houston’s Daughter
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in Tub
• Stars Rally Around Bobbi Kristina Brown
• Bobbi Kristina’s Husband Is Not the Bad Guy, Says Source
• Bobby Brown ‘Inconsolable’ Over Bobbi Kristina’s Hospitalization
• Bobbi Kristina Brown Recovery Would Be a Miracle, Says Source