Tom Brady Hits Back After NFL Upholds 'Deflategate' Suspension: 'They Have Zero Evidence of Wrongdoing'
Tom Brady took to Facebook to vent about the NFL's ruling
In a lengthy Facebook post, the 37-year-old New England Patriots quarterback insisted that he didn’t destroy his cellphone in an attempt to hide evidence that he’d participated in deflating footballs in the AFC championship game against the Indianapolis Colts earlier this year.
“I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either,” Brady wrote.
“Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was ‘probable’ that I was ‘generally aware’ of misconduct. The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.”
He added: “I also disagree with yesterday’s narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances.”
Brady also maintained that he’s “never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.”
He concluded: “They have zero evidence of wrongdoing.”
The NFL Players Association said Tuesday that it would file an appeal in federal court on Brady’s behalf.
“The fact that the NFL would resort to basing a suspension on a smoke screen of irrelevant text messages instead of admitting that they have all of the phone records they asked for is a new low, even for them, but it does nothing to correct their errors,” the NFLPA said in a statement.