Timeline: Madonna and Guy's Year Together – and Apart
The divorcing couple spent much of 2008 leading separate lives
As news broke of the impending divorce of Madonna and Guy Ritchie, the pair were on different continents – as usual. He was on the U.K. set of his latest film, Sherlock Holmes; she was in the U.S. continuing her Sticky and Sweet tour.
A look back at their separate lives:
• February 13: Madonna spends pre-Valentine’s day without Ritchie at the Berlin premiere of Filth & Wisdom, the short film she directed.
• March 10: Ritchie is absent when Madonna is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York City. She thanks “teachers, friends and family,” but not her husband.
• April 29: While Madonna is in New York City to celebrate the release of her CD Hard Candy, Ritchie takes kids Lourdes, now 12, and Rocco, 8, (but not David, 3) to the London premiere of Speed Racer.
• May 21: The couple reunite in Cannes for the premiere of her documentary, I Am Because We Are. During a Nightline interview, Madonna is asked if Ritchie is around and she responds wryly, “I think he’s in a bar somewhere. While I’m working, he’s playing.”
• June: Madonna and the children head to New York City where she spends weeks rehearsing her tour. Ritchie remains abroad. Divorce buzz builds – but is quieted when the director joins his family June 30.
• July 13: In a public display of togetherness, the couple take a stroll with Rocco and Lourdes in New York.
• August 16: Ritchie throws a 50th birthday party for Madonna in London.
• August 23: Madonna kicks off her Sticky and Sweet tour in Wales. Ritchie lends support backstage, according to the singer’s rep.
• September 1: The pair attend the London premiere of Ritchie’s film RocknRolla together, but he heads to the Toronto International Film Festival alone later in the week.
• September 10: The duo celebrate another birthday together – his 40th – partying low-key at The Punchbowl, a London pub that Ritchie partly owns.
• October: Madonna kicks off the North American leg of her tour. Ritchie remains in the U.K. to film Sherlock Holmes. On Oct. 13, Madonna flies solo at the New York premiere of Filth & Wisdom.
• 2001: Inside Madonna & Guy’s dream wedding