Texas 13-Year-Old Wakes Up to Smoldering Cell Phone Under Her Pillow
"The whole phone melted," the girl's father, Thomas, said. "The plastic, the glass. You can't even really tell that it was a phone"
http://KDFW.images.worldnow.com/interface/js/WNVideo.js?rnd=334804;hostDomain=www.myfoxdfw.com;playerWidth=600;playerHeight=338;isShowIcon=true;clipId=10403480;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=News;advertisingZone=;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=overlayThirteen-year old Texan Ariel Tolfree is, as most teens are, a fan of her cell phone – to the point where she sleeps with it under her pillow at night. (Perhaps with the expectation that a Phone Fairy will replace her Samsung Galaxy S4 with an iPhone 5s?)
However, it’s a habit she’s now abandoning after one fateful night.
Tolfree told Dallas-Fort Worth Fox affiliate KDFW that she woke up one night to the smell of something burning. “I didn’t think much of it, so I went back to sleep, and then I woke up again and it was more prominent.”
“The whole phone melted,” her father, Thomas, added. “The plastic, the glass. You can’t even really tell that it was a phone.”
The family contacted the news, and then Samsung, who pointed out that the battery inside the phone was in fact a replacement and not an original Samsung unit. They also pointed out that the phone’s user guide advises against such an action, noting that covering a device with bedding or other material can restrict airflow and start a fire.
The Tolfrees, though, did not read that warning. (And let’s be honest – when’s the last time you read through the complete instructions to any electronic device you purchased?) “If anything, they should put a big warning on it, like a cigarette label, if that’s the case,” Thomas said.
Samsung has requested the burnt phone be sent to them for a post-mortem, and they are providing the Tolfrees with a replacement device, as well as fresh bedding and a new mattress and pillow.
Looks like the Phone Fairy came after all.