By Caitlin O'toole
Updated May 07, 1998 12:00 AM
Advertisement

“Survivor: The Australian Outback” cast member Michael Skupin has opened up about the horrific accident on last week’s episode that left him with second and third-degree burns on his hands and unable to continue on the show. After an appearance on CBS’s “The Early Show” on Friday, Skupin, a 38-year old software designer from White Lake Township, Mich., was grilled by the media about why he decided to keep his injuries secret from his wife and family until the show was broadcast last Thursday. “I was able to ascertain from the doctors’ opinions . . . that my hands were going to heal and that I was going to have complete recovery,” he said, according to Reuters. “I made the decision at that point and I’m so glad I made that decision because my family has bonded so tightly as a result of what happened because they were able to go through the experience with me (when the show was broadcast).” Skupin, who said he spent a week in the hospital as and was treated an additional week as an outpatient, said his wife and children “went through the same kind of shock and horror” watching his accident on national television as everyone else. And what has Skupin learned from the experience? “I haven’t built a fire since then,” he said, according to the Associated Press.

For more on “Survivor II,” click here