While the general wisdom is to never meet your heroes ... sometimes it works out.
While the general wisdom is to never meet your heroes … sometimes it works out.
These 18 people took to Reddit to share the completely lovely (and unexpected) encounters they had with their favorite celebrities.
1. “Lady Gaga. I worked room service and the bar at a hotel she was staying at. She ordered room service, and I brought it up. She was in casual cloths and was extremely nice and courteous. It seemed like no more than 30 minutes later, she was at the bar talking with some of the regulars.”
2. “Nick Offerman was the dude. I met him after an American Ham show. He got down on one knee for it because I’m in a wheelchair. I sort of joked that he didn’t have to do that, and, dead serious, he goes, ‘Son, you should make everyone take a knee for you.’ It took me a while to figure out he wasn’t joking; he was saying have enough self-respect to ask people to accommodate you. That guy is operating on another plane of existence.”
3. “Hugh Jackman. Insanely nice, and he was twice as handsome in person.”
4. “Jeff Goldblum. I was working at an amusement park around the time Jurassic Park came out. I was zoning out at my register, and he was standing right next to me, waiting on someone. I did a double take, not quite sure it was him. He just looked at me, gave a smile like he knew I was trying to figure it out, and said, ‘How you doing?’ in that distinct voice of his.”
5. “Val Kilmer was pretty cool. I tried to get his autograph for my cousin (we were kids, and she loved him) and realized I didn’t have a pen or paper. He pulled out his wallet and signed it on a dollar bill with a pen his buddy was carrying.”
6. “My girlfriend met Chris Pratt on a red-eye flight from L.A. to Orlando. He waited around and took selfies with everyone waiting for their bags while he waited for his. She tried to take the fastest picture ever because she was embarrassed to bother him, and he made sure the picture was good before she left.”
7. “I met Lindsay Lohan in a club, and she asked me and my friends if we wanted to hang out in her booth. She bought us drinks and everything. Super down to earth.”
8. “Jack Black once came into the movie theater I used to work at. He accidentally spilled his popcorn all over the front row of the theater. I saw this and went over to clean it up, but he told me to have a seat, took my broom and cleaned it up himself.”
9. “My aunt has a great story about Jimmy Fallon. She’s lived in N.Y.C. for the last 20 years and has seen him various times in bars. One time, she was in the same bar as him back when he was on SNL. When she went to leave, he asked her to stay and dance with him. They both went to the jukebox, picked out a song and danced together. He’s a goofball and just a really sweet guy.”
10. “Zac Efron was filming at my old work overnight, and I did not even recognize him. He came into our office between shoots and watched a movie with us. We just chatted for two hours and essentially hung out. It was only after I went home and put two and two together that I realized I just hung out with a former teenage heartthrob of all the girls in my high school. The next night, he thanked me for not freaking out by a star and asking for an autograph.”
11. “I played blackjack with Bryan Cranston while he was in Las Vegas filming. Probably the coolest person I’ve ever met.”
12. “Maria Sharapova. I was at a tennis tournament and was in the autograph line after her match to just get to see her leave. I guess she noticed I was the only person there not screaming for an autograph, because she stopped, took a picture with me, and gave me a signed ball.”
13. “One of Sandra Bullock‘s movies was filming a couple blocks from where I lived as a kid, so we all went down to watch. She spent the entire day talking with people when she wasn’t working. She was really sweet, and even when you could see that she was tired, she made a point to say hello to everyone who came out to see her, smile and take pictures.”
14. “Dolly Parton. She is exactly what you would expect. Just the sweetest thing ever.”
15. “I met Quentin Tarantino at a bar in Austin. He was by himself, so I just said ‘hi.’ We ended up talking for nearly an hour, and he covered my bar tab. Nice dude. He talks really fast.”
16. “Dave Coulier from Full House. It was years ago, at a celebrity hockey game in Michigan. After the game, a bunch of the celebrities were signing autographs. As you can imagine, there were huge crowds of people around everyone. Being a super short kid, I was pushed back by all of the adults. Dave saw me struggling to get to him, and he made everyone move out of the way so I could get up to him and get his autograph. He did a couple impressions for me, then sent me on my way before he was swarmed again.”
17. “Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell were just so genuinely friendly. We talked for a few minutes before I realized who they were. Then when they introduced themselves, I was shocked.”
18. “Tom Hiddleston is a true gent. He’s always out and about locally and is extremely gracious.”
All posts have been edited from Reddit for length and clarity.