"Equality won!" Ellen DeGeneres Tweets after a California judge rules that the same-sex marriage ban is unconstitutional
It’s been a heavily debated topic for almost two years, but it took just a few seconds for celebrities to Tweet their cheers when Proposition 8, a ballot measure passed in November 2008 that banned same-sex marriages in California, was ruled unconstitutional Wednesday by a federal judge.
Here’s what Hollywood had to say after U.S. District Chief Judge Vaughn R. Walker in San Francisco struck down Prop 8:
• Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger: “This decision affirms the full legal protections and safeguards I believe everyone deserves.”
• Ellen DeGeneres: “Equality won!”
• Portia de Rossi: “I am ecstatic that proposition 8 has been overturned in the state of California. This is an incredibly exciting and historical day and a big step towards equal rights for all.”
• Lance Bass: “Congrats on the overturning of Prop 8!!!!”
• Pink: “It s a good day!”
• Ricky Martin: “YEAHHHHH!!!!! PROP8UNCONSTITUTIONAL MOVING FORWARD!!!!!!!!”
• Kelly Osbourne: “so happy over the news on prop8 its about time!”
• Kim Kardashian: “Prop 8 was struck down! This news is amazing!!!! Its about time! Congrats to everyone!”
• Shanna Moakler: “Tonight we celebrate! EQUALITY and LOVE for all! This is so much bigger then [sic] marriage, it’s about wisdom, compassion and knowing we CAN be heard, action DOES make a difference!”
• Samantha Ronson: “Song Of The Day: Let’s Get Married- Jagged Edge.”
• Paris Hilton: “What a huge historical day for equal rights in this country! They finally overturned Prop 8! There shouldn’t be a law on true love. :)”
• Sophia Bush: “A MAJOR step forward. Everyone deserves the right to love whomever they choose. I am proud to be from Cali again!”
• Rose McGowan: “Yay! No more Prop H8! I wanna be a flower girl in a wedding asap!”
• Fran Drescher: “Congrats to CA for c-ing the light & rising above prejudice. u had me worried there! When Iowa is cooler than Cali, it’s time to recalibrate!”
• Milla Jovovich: “Gay Marriage law overturned in CA!!! Thank god good ppl are being treated equally again! Now we need the rest of the US to follow!”
Still, not everyone cheered the decision. Some proponents of the proposition expressed their disappointment.
“Judge Walker’s ruling overturning Prop 8 is an outrageous disrespect for our Constitution and for the majority of people of the United States who believe marriage is the union of husband and wife,” conservative politician Newt Gingrich said on his Web site.
The legal fight is expected to continue with an appeal by supporters of Prop 8.