Spice Girls Expose Fake Concert Cancellation
The band's rep says that word is wrong about shelving the Buenos Aires gig
Despite what appeared to be a notice of cancellation on their very own Web site, The Spice Girls insist they did not shelve plans to perform in Argentina as part of their reunion world tour, reports the BBC.
In a statement, the group’s rep is quoted as saying, “The Spice Girls would like to make it clear that they have not canceled their Buenos Aires show. A story has appeared on several Web sites that includes a fake e-mail and competition from the girls. The fake e-mail claims that due to the demand so far in the U.K. and the U.S. this show is going to be canceled.”
The phony message also says that the band – whose tour’s first leg starts Dec. 2 in Vancouver before moving on to San Jose, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago, Boston and then Manchester, England, and London (for 17 nights) – intended to hold “competitions for their South American fans to travel to the U.K. to watch a show.”
Added the spokesman, “This is not the case, and this e-mail is 100-percent unofficial and has nothing to do with the Spice Girls.”
– Stephen M. Silverman