55 Years of Sound of Music, 10 Quotes We'll Never Forget
"The hills are alive with the sound of music, with songs they have sung for a thousand years. The hills fill my heart with the sound of music. My heart wants to sing every song it hears."
– "The Sound of Music," the title track sung by Maria ((Julie Andrews)
"You brought music back into the house. I had forgotten."
– Captain von Trapp (Christopher Plummer), to Maria
"You know how Sister Berthe always makes me kiss the floor after we've had a disagreement? Well, lately I've taken to kissing the floor whenever I see her coming, just to save time."
– Maria, before heading to the home of Captain von Trapp to be the governess to his seven children
"After all, the wool from the black sheep is just as warm."
– Sister Margaretta (Anna Lee), supporting Maria despite her free-spirited ways
"I need someone older and wiser, telling me what to do. You are seventeen going on eighteen. I'll depend on you."
– "Sixteen Going on Seventeen," sung by Rolfe (Daniel Truhitte) and Liesl (Charmian Carr)
"Well, you can't marry someone when you're in love with someone else ... can you?"
– Captain von Trapp, professing his feelings for Maria after calling off his engagement to the Baroness
"When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad. I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad."
– "My Favorite Things," sung by Maria
"Only grown-up men are scared of women."
– Kurt (Duane Chase), the precocious 11-year-old von Trapp child
"Climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow, 'til you find your dream."
– "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," sung by Mother Abbess (Peggy Wood)
"When you know the notes to sing, you can sing most anything."
– "Do-Re-Mi," sung by Maria and the children