Why Selena Gomez Will Give Up Social Media 'in a Few Years' – Plus 6 Revelations from Her W Interview
"I honestly had to, because I didn't really expect my life to be as public as it was," Gomez says of having a digital footprint
Selena Gomez has over 161 million followers on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter combined – but she’d be content with zero.
“In a few years, I’ll give all of it up,” Gomez, 23, says in a no-holds-barred interview for W magazine’s March cover story, which shows the singer striking sexy poses in a bikini.
“I’m utilizing social media right now because of my age and because, to be honest, everybody else in the world was talking about me, so I wanted a f—ing say,” she shares, alluding to reports of her buzzed-about relationship with ex-boyfriend Justin Bieber.
Gomez continues: “I honestly had to, because I didn’t really expect my life to be as public as it was. Is this going to destroy me or make me? I still have to make that choice on a daily basis.”
Read on for a preview of the spread, including what she says about that rumored feud with Miley Cyrus and her current thoughts on Bieber.
1. Want to meet Swift and Gomez? Head to the nearest Chili’s restaurant. “I love Chili’s,” says Gomez. “Taylor and I eat here all the time.”
2. When it comes to her previous on-again, off-again romance with Bieber, 21, there’s really nothing left to say. “I’m so exhausted,” she explains. “I honestly am so done. I care about his health and well-being. But I can’t do it anymore.”
3. No, she does not have beef with Miley Cyrus, who also used to date Nick Jonas. “We never feuded,” the Revival singer tells W. “We both liked the same guy when we were 16. It was just a Hilary Duff–Lindsay Lohan thing: ‘Oh, my God, we like the same boy!’ We are now completely settled in our own lives.”
4. In fact, Gomez is a Cyrus fan. “Every single girl has done it completely differently,” she says of her evolution from childhood Disney star to household name. “Obviously, she wouldn’t want to be doing what I’m doing, and I wouldn’t want to be doing what she’s doing. But I’m a fan of her music – I don’t know if she’d say that about me.”
5. Gomez’s mother Mandy Teefey was once her manager – but she wasn’t replaced out of spite. “I was like, ‘Mom, I gotta figure it out on my own,'” she says. As for why Gomez distanced herself by moving out of her family’s home in 2014, “It was the kid-going-to-college moment in my mind,” she explained.
6. The actress – whose new movie with Paul Rudd, The Fundamentals of Caring, closed out the Sundance Film Festival – is eager to take chances for film roles. “I know that I can go into a room and convince someone that I can be a character,” she says. “I’ll cut my hair, I’ll shave it, I’ll dye it. I’d go there in order for people to let Selena go.”