Sandra Lee Thanks Her Team of Doctors After Returning Home from Hospital: 'I Am Deeply Grateful'
Celebrity chef Sandra Lee has posted progress reports from her hospital bed following her double mastectomy May 19, but never revealed her whereabouts while receiving treatment. Now that has been discharged and is resting at home, she wants to thank the medical team that treated her.
In an exclusive statement to PEOPLE, Lee expresses her gratitude to the nurses and doctors at Mount Sinai Dubin Breast Center in New York City for their care.
“I am deeply grateful to all of the doctors, nurses, medical attendants and my skilled surgeons from the Mount Sinai Dubin Center. During my stay at Mount Sinai’s (St. Luke’s) Roosevelt Hospital, the entire team provided excellent care, with genuine compassion and concern every step of the way,” the 48-year-old says.
Lee adds, “Some missed Memorial Day Weekend with family and friends to spend it with me – and I’m sorry to report there was no Sandra Lee barbecue, picnic not even a celebratory Cocktail Time!”
“I am on the road to recovery and healing thanks to this talented and dedicated group women and men. I am forever filled with appreciation for their wonderful work.”
Lee never disclosed her whereabouts during her time at the hospital, in part because her partner of 10 years, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, was by her bedside throughout her ordeal.
People Exclusive: Sandra Lee Opens up about Her Breast Cancer Diagnosis
“This is about her feeling secure and loved,” Cuomo told PEOPLE before her surgery.
The Food Network star first revealed her breast cancer diagnosis earlier this month on Good Morning America.