The TV chef had a double mastectomy on Tuesday

Credit: Courtesy Sandra Lee

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has been a dedicated boyfriend in the weeks following longtime love Sandra Lee‘s breast cancer diagnosis and subsequent double mastectomy. Cuomo is reportedly spending his nights at the hospital where Lee is recovering from her Tuesday surgery, sleeping by her side.

Lee, 48, revealed her DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) diagnosis on Good Morning America on May 12. DCIS is a common noninvasive cancer contained within the milk ducts that can become invasive if left untreated. The celebrity chef opted to undergo the double mastectomy rather than suffer through six to eight weeks of daily radiation.

Cuomo announced he would be taking time away from his job to help Lee through her recovery, and the couple has been actively documenting her progress on social media.

On Thursday, Lee shared a sweet shot of herself with Cuomo on Twitter, calling her journey “[One] small step for Sandra, one giant step for all women who have been impacted by breast cancer.”

“He’s very sweet,” a spokeswoman for Lee told the New York Post of Cuomo, 57. “It’s been interesting to see. He’s a really good man. He’s been there 110 percent.”

PEOPLE Exclusive: Sandra Lee Opens up about Her Breast Cancer Diagnosis

The celebrity chef was doing well following her surgery, as Cuomo said in a statement following the operation.

“I am happy to report that she is doing as well as could be expected and has begun the post-surgery recovery process,” Cuomo said Tuesday. “On behalf of Sandy and myself, I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and prayers over the last few days. Your support has meant the world to us.”

Lee’s spokeswoman also told the Post, “Day two after surgery, you’re expected to feel euphoric, and she went for a walk down the hall with the governor. Day three, the nurse called it the ‘hit-by-a-truck day.’ The pain is there, and the euphoria has worn off. She’s okay, but she’s a little bit wiped out.”

A post on Lee’s Twitter account Friday morning reflected day three’s challenge:

Lee could be released as early as Friday, her spokeswoman told the Post.