Robin Williams' Widow Susan Reveals Her Husband Was Weeks Away From Moving into Treatment Facility Before His Suicide

Robin Williams met with his psychiatrist who said that it was time for him to enter an inpatient treatment facility, Susan Schneider Williams tells PEOPLE

Photo: Courtesy Susan Williams

Robin Williams‘ health had deteriorated so much that he was just weeks away from moving into an inpatient treatment facility – one he may never have left – when he took his own life, the beloved comedian’s widow has revealed to PEOPLE.

On July 24, 2014, Susan Williams says she found her husband in the bathroom standing in a daze after he had bloodied his head on a door. He called the accident a “miscalculation.”

After being treated for his minor injury, Robin and Susan met with his psychiatrist who said that it was time for the 63-year-old star to enter an inpatient treatment facility.

For much more from Susan Williams, pick up the new issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday.

“This is when a pivotal moment happened,” recalls Susan. “The psychiatrist said ‘Now, Robin…’ – and mind you this is a few weeks before he left [died] – ‘It is no longer an option to have inpatient neurocognitive evaluation. This is now mandatory and we need to decide, you need to decide where you want to go and we’re all going to figure this out.'”

Robin had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in May 2014. It was only after an autopsy following his suicide in August 2014 that his family learned he had Dementia with Lewy Bodies, a horrific and baffling disease that causes disorientation and hallucinations – among numerous other heartbreaking symptoms.

After the meeting with the psychiatrist, Susan remembers seeing an immediate shift in her husband of nearly two years. She tells PEOPLE that a feeling of melancholy settled into Robin, who was still upset about his seemingly inexplicable “miscalculation” with the door earlier in the day.

“This was not happy news,” she says. “We were scared. We were all really scared. We didn’t know what we were fighting.”

Robin took his life before his medical team was able to properly diagnose his condition – knowing full well that he was going to have to enter a treatment facility, one he might never have left, Susan says.

“By the time he made it to inpatient we would have gotten around to the fact that he has Lewy Body Dementia,” she says. “But what I know now is that if Robin was lucky he would have made it three years. And he might have never left a facility. It was very bad.”

Related Articles